Monday 16th – Friday 20th November
For the third consecutive year, the RE department marked National Interfaith Week with a range of events to help students and staff develop a greater understanding and appreciation of different faiths; to celebrate the religious and spiritual diversity within the school; and to provide both students and staff an opportunity to explore and share their own beliefs.
Interfaith Week contributes towards the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of our pupils, and also reflects the school’s active promotion of “British values”, particularly mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
The features of the week included:
· Faiths Forum with a panel of religious representatives who answered questions from Year 9 pupils. Questions included the place of women in religion, why there is suffering and religious experiences. The faith leaders were:
- Rev Mat Wilson – Senior Minister, Pavilion Christian Community
- Maulana Aqeel Kang – Imam, Baitul Ghafoor Mosque (Ahmadiyya Muslim Community)
- Gen Kelsang Leksang – Resident Teacher, Samantabhadara Kadampa Buddhist Centre
- Mr Baljit Singh – Preacher, Everythings 13 Sikh Charity
- Mrs Sushma Sahajpal – Creative Education Consultant (Hinduism)
- Dr Peter Sheridan – Birmingham Progressive Synagogue (Judaism)
House Assemblies delivered by our excellent RE ambassadors
· Launch of RE debating club which will be run by our sixth form RE ambassadors
· Sixth formers visit to the Birmingham Buddhist Centre to learn more about spirituality and meditation
· Showcase in foyer displaying various posters, staff views and selection of booklets on religions produced by Year 9
· Rolling slideshow about Interfaith Week on plasma screens
· Tweets from @KNGSlife and a hashtag #kngsinterfaith to raise awareness and share experiences on social media
A video production about Interfaith Week has been produced and has been circulated through the school’s Twitter handle @KNGSlife – please click here to take a look!